Hello everybody! Easter long weekend had begun and you know what that means!! Lent had just came to a close - bet you thought I was going to say something along the lines of Easter Show, aye?
The season of Lent is a Christian festival where we (not all of us) fast in preparation for Easter. The fastening goes on for 40 days excluding Sunday (46 days in total as it ends on Holy Saturday). Because my religion is of Western Christianity (Roman Catholic), my lent starts on Ash Wednesday whereas Eastern Churches starts on Clean Monday.
Why do I fast?
Four or five years ago, I had a conversation with my Dad some time before Ash Wednesday (or maybe on the day) as to what Ash Wednesday really was. He then mentioned how people gave up meat for 40 days during this time because Jesus struggled in the wilderness for that long without food. And from that conversation, I wanted to prove to him I could give up meat for that period of time also. And that was how it all started.. And boy, was my first lent a struggle!
Another reason why I fast is because I don't usually eat much meat anyways and saw this as an opportunity to challenge myself and also use this time to cook my own food since I am the only one who fast for the whole period in my family.
What is interesting though, is that as a Vietnamese-Catholic, giving up meat is actually the pescetarian diet, not vegetarian. I am not too sure if this goes to the other Christianity as well though, but that came to me as a big surprise. And what is this pescetarian diet, you may ask? It is very similar to the vegetarian diet, but the main difference in the two is that pescetarians still consume seafood. Whereas vegetarian do not consume any meat from land or sea.
If you know why we follow the pescetarian diet instead of the vegetarian, let me know! And for those who also fast, what did you guys give up?
What is interesting though, is that as a Vietnamese-Catholic, giving up meat is actually the pescetarian diet, not vegetarian. I am not too sure if this goes to the other Christianity as well though, but that came to me as a big surprise. And what is this pescetarian diet, you may ask? It is very similar to the vegetarian diet, but the main difference in the two is that pescetarians still consume seafood. Whereas vegetarian do not consume any meat from land or sea.
If you know why we follow the pescetarian diet instead of the vegetarian, let me know! And for those who also fast, what did you guys give up?

No comments:
Post a Comment